Kindergarten : Georgia

Georgia went to Kindergarten this afternoon.  This picture and the drop-off situation seemed strangely reminiscent of the one last year for pre-school.

She was wearing the same shirt she wore last year because her wonderful amazing soul-filling hippie school has a dress code that doesn't allow anything that isn't solid or a pattern.  So, even though she got some new school clothes yesterday from her grandma Kirton, she can't wear any of the shirts because they have giraffes on them.  Sigh.  I love everything else about it.

She is in half-day kindergarten because when the option of "all-day" came up, Hyrum's response was, "NO!  That's WAY too much school for a little kid!  (grumbling) Kids shouldn't go to school all day until High School if you ask me..." Well, okay.  No arguments here.  So today she went to school for the first time again at 12:30 pm, and needs to be picked up at 3pm for the first time again.

And, like last year, I was so excited and worried about getting her there on time that we were there 30 minutes early, but I forgot to give Georgia lunch.  Poor kid.  Poor teacher.  Face palm.

Like last year, I took a picture of her going in, and she did weird-fake-smile.  Unlike last year, I coerced her into smiling for real (I asked her to tell me a joke, and when she laughed at it, I took the picture.  Works every time.)

Today like last year, I was surprised to realize that she would be away from me for 2 and half hours, and worried for just a second whether she would be safe- if the kids would be kind- if she would be kind to the other kids- but calmed having seen how well she did in preschool.

Today like last year I am cutting it a bit too close to when I need to leave to pick her up, but I am so excited to hear how it went.  She told me before I left her, that when I came to get her she would tell me all about it.  I love this about her.  She is a talker.  And a snuggler.  Thank heaven for her.

Today, very unlike last year when she walked into class, I did not well up in almost-panic (like most of the other parents).  I was just proud of the little person she is, and sure that she would have a wonderful time.  She is spectacular and CRAP I HAVE TO GO GET HER.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pumpkins the Goat

It does not get better than this.

School, and the Golden Rule