I Totally Just Made Lip Balm
Pinterest made me do it.
That is the name of one of my boards on Pinterest. I created it to motivate me to do all of the stuff on my Do It Myself board. I added a few things to it once that I actually did, but I haven't added to it in a WHILE. Today, I get to add to that board. :)
I made lip gloss. I got the recipe on Pinterest from this blog.
She gives wonderful directions and includes awesome pictures for the step-by-step. Its really easy though.
I have a huge tub of coconut cooking oil that my mother-in-law gave me when she was on a coconut-stuff kick. When I saw that one of the ingredients was a way to use the stuff in that tub, I was all, "Yep." The coconut oil is great because it has sun protection properties and it smells like heaven. Anyway, I'm new to this so I took almost all of my information from her- I'm just adding my pictures to Pinterest to boost my ego.
The first thing she says on her blog is that she has already done a lip gloss, and this one is a balm. This is true. There is more beeswax in this one so its thicker. I'll do the gloss next time.
I had the coconut oil but not some of the other stuff. And since Georgia Rachel is not fond of errands, I bought of of my stuff online and had it shipped. In my search for the best prices, I found bulkapothacary.com, which is AMAZE-balls. (sorry, mom.) I ordered beeswax, sweet almond oil, pipettes, chap stick containers, labels and a heap of their extra lip balms that are left over from big orders. You don't get to pick what flavors you get but they're all made with natural ingredients, and I was on the hunt for cheap lip stuff. I am, after all, an addict, and being an addict get pricey.
Pennies! They cost me mere pennies!
So here we go. Ingredients:
2 Tablespoons of grated beeswax, or 1 1/2 T beeswax beads
1 Tablespoon Coconut Oil (for cooking)
2 teaspoons sweet almond oil
A chunk of red lipstick.
Any essential oil or flavoring you like. I used Lemongrass to brighten up the ultra-sexy honey/coconut flavor
Use a double boiler to melt all of your ingredients together.
My lemongrass didn't come through as much as I would have liked, so play around with it- drop a little onto some cool glass and rub it on your lips or the back of your hand to see if its smelling the way you want.
Also, make your first one, or a little bit of one, turn the heat on our double boiler down to the lowest setting, and stick your first stick in the fridge to see if you like it.
I sprayed a brownie pan with cooking spray and put a layer of plastic wrap over it in case I made a mess, and placed my chap stick containers there to cool. To fill them, I just held them over the pot, and set them down to add the last few drops up to the top.
As Delia did for her balm, I added a hunk of red lip stick that has never looked right on me, knowing that a lot-bit goes a little way, and it turned out a sweet peony pink.
Then I grabbed some cheap lip gloss that I've used like thrice since I bought it when I was 18, and added some tones that are more my speed. Keep in mind: not much color is going to show up unless you put a lot in. I was being conservative with my coloring. I will be more cavalier next time.
When I got to my last tubes, I turned the pot to pool the remaining concoction and got almost all of it out.
I doubled the recipe and got 17 and a half chap stick containers. There are options other than the chap stick tube, but I don't like to have color left on my finger- it just ends up on the under side of my car seat, and even though the next driver will never know, I would feel guilty just knowing I didn't list that on the "dings and dents" list.
So, so excited. :)
And there you go. Pinterest made me do it. Thanks, Delia.






Comments
Post a Comment