These is my cakes.

I make cakes. Well I guess everybody does it but I decorate them with marshmallow fondant that I learned how to make on youtube. I'm only different from all of the other people that make fondant cakes because I'm worse at it. Everybody else learned in classes or something, I don't know where everyone learned, but I'm the worst at it. And I'm ok with that :) Its like being a karaoke star. If you're the only one trying in your little circle of friends, you're something special for simple uniqueness. The other thing that makes me different, I think, is that I LOVE to do it. I love- LOVE- to decorate cakes.
I don't know that it matters how it all started, but this is a blog, so I guess I'll explain it. It all started with my mom's pound cake recipe. Its SO GOOD. I don't actually even really like cake generally, but my mom's pound cake is delicious and it doesn't even need frosting. It doesn't fall apart like most cake. You can walk around holding the piece you grabbed off the counter and bite off of it while watching t.v. and not have to worry about a plate, or a bowl with milk on the bottom, which is the only way to eat the other kind. (Normal cake is lame.) So I appreciate it for it flavor and functionality, both.
*As a note, if a cake is too dry, its because it needs more fats. Add another egg or 2 and a little more oil for a better consistency. Also, fill cupcakes and cake pans only 2/3 of the way and it wont spill into your oven and smoke your dessert like a Thanksgiving Turkey.
I'm obsessed with weddings, so I've seen thousands of wedding cakes online and otherwise, and when I got married, could not have been more bored with 3-tier white fondant cakes with flowers or ribbons on them. It goes along with my main idea when it comes to everything with weddings: "WHY DO WE ALL DO THE SAME THING?! THE SAME UGLY DRESS! THE SAME OLD FLOWERS! THE SAME BORING DULL UNORIGINAL BAD TASTING HORRIFICALLY EXPENSIVE CAKE! ITS SUPPOSED TO BE YOUR DAY! NOT EVERYBODY ELSE'S SAME STUPID DAY!" It could be considered a problem, but as I was typing that I thought about the people who read my blog who are married, and none of your weddings fit into that, so good job. You feel me. Anyway, my mom made my cake (and 800 little ones to match). It was Red Velvet with cream cheese frosting, and a layer of cadbury chocolate melted on top, and chocolate curls, and surrounded by mocha pirouette cookies. INCREDIBLE. But once I got my own wedding cake out of my system, I wanted to learn how to make fondant, for normal occasions. Wedding cakes should be more special than fondant. That's my position.
But bachelorette cakes- fondant needed! If I'm involved, that is :) My best friend Katie got married 6 months after me, and I took on the bachelorette party. I went on youtube and took it on. I used my mom's pound cake recipe and varied the flavors. It was a chocolate cake, and a cheesecake flavored cake, with cheese cake filling and chocolate buttercream. I KNOW! It is the best tasting cake I've made, still to this day. Except the lemon pound cake. It's the best cake ever, so it doesn't count.
Anyhow, I've tried different things and I'm getting better. Faster. And I'm learning more about different frostings and stuff for different techniques. Its fun :) And that's why I don't want it to be my job, to answer that question.
To be honest though, my favorite part of decorating a cake, really is the piping. Fondant is a perfect backdrop for intricate beautiful princessy lacey piping. I'm learning how to do the old school royal icing and I'm just waiting for an occasion that merits something really delicate, so stand by. But this is what I've done up to this point.

The white cake was a birthday cake I did for my Sister in Law Meladee in Bear Lake. I forgot the fondant I prepared ahead of time so we went with what we had :) It was Lemon. Mmmm.
This Conversation Heart cake was for our formal Valentines Gala- 3 flavors: Lemon, Chocolate, and Chocolate Peanut Butter.
 
Then for Meladee's son's blessing, I did a double chocolate cheesecake (flavored) piping cake- this is still one of my favorites that I've done. I just like how his name came out. And come on his name is Seth Teancum Kirton. How cool can a name get?

I've done a few of which I couldn't get great pictures, but next in this bunch is my Dia de los Muertos cake, or Day of the Dead. No matter how much time I lived in Mexico studying this stuff, I still think the skulls are weird. But awesome. So to be a little weird DeadDay and a little Frida Khalo, I put butterflies on the skull and decorated them with different designs.

Then for Meladee's sister's baby shower, we decided on a jungle theme. I wish I would have made the animals bigger because they were so cute. There was a snake, a lion, a tiger, a monkey, a palm tree, and my favorite, a Giraffe. :)



We did little cakes for my niece and nephew's birthdays, Lauren and Austen. A princess cake with a real tiara! And a Noah's ark cake that ended up topped with a fishing boat and crawling with critters. :)

Ah, and my top cake was my sister in law Candice's birthday cake. Her favorite color is purple and her favorite flower is the Calla Lily, and I made white chocolate flourishes for the top. We ended up not knowing where to put the candles. oops. :/
That's my love! Stay tuned for better editing, and more intricate frost-work!


Comments

  1. Yay! New Blog post!
    Yay! Cake!
    I don't even eat cake and I want you to make me one!!! :)
    Luvs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally amazed by your cake skills. I'm totally amazed by people who have a passion for things which I have no desire in learning to do myself, I guess that is what makes us a all unique!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pumpkins the Goat

It does not get better than this.

School, and the Golden Rule