Gidgit Gadgets

Other possible post titles:
Doing Haircuts at My House- for Dogs
So She IS My Trial Baby- So What?
Non-menacing Household Items of which My Dog is Afraid
All That Work and THAT'S All You Care About?
The Teacup Australian Shepard.
I Have a Single Coat Dog. And there is Hair. Everywhere.


I'm a STUFF junkie. Shopping for pectin ends up taking an hour, if that's the only thing on my list. I LOVE to browse through makeup, and never miss an opportunity to breeze past the shoe section, even if, like today at Wal-Mart, there is no chance. Stuff junkie-ism far from exceeds the area of my life that is my dog. Gidgit. She is so adorable, I can hardly stand it sometimes; and that might sound pathetic until you realize that the reason I got her was to have something in my life that loves me no matter what, and then you realize that it really IS pathetic, and you can't make fun of people who actually ARE whatever you were calling them. We shouldn't call ANYBODY idiots, but you really can't call real idiots, idiots.

I digress.

Gidgit came home with me on a miserably snowy Wednesday in March. She was mostly black with a caramel face and legs. To keep the story short, I'll just say that it started coming in white, and then started growing in kindof a gunmetal gray. This is called "bluing out" in the yorkie/morkie community. She ended up looking much like Chewbacca, as (my brother) Dave pointed out last week. I'm embarrassed to admit that I didn't want to cut her hair because I wished that it would stay black and wanted her to keep looking like a puppy. But she just looked like a bit of a mess. This is her this morning.

We got her a license on Saturday and there was a picture of an adult Yorkie with a cute haircut on the machine. I hate all Yorkie cuts except this one. So when I decided that she looked a bit stupid this morning, I tried to shave her with Hyrum's clippers. This did not work. So I looked online to see if pet clippers are different than human clippers, and found out that they take great pains to make them quiet so the groomer can get the job done without getting bitten. Or peed upon, depending on the temperament of the client. Then I did some research, read some reviews, and there is a Wahl (a trusted salon brand) at wal-mart that retails for $45, which is preposterous until to see what they're asking for some of the other ones, and what they charge for grooming. If you can wait, you can get them online for $36, but I couldn't, so I paid the full $45.

Do you care about all of these details?! Sorry. Let's get to the interesting stuff.

While I was there, I got 2 stainless steal bowls, as we've been using my mother-in-laws very nice ramekins and I just can't justify it anymore, 2 boxes of granola bars because I always shop hungry, and talked myself out of getting her the pink harness and matching leash. NOT INTERESTING! WHY ARE YOU STILL READING?

The clippers have to charge for 24 hours before use. 24 hours?! So I opened the set of grooming tools I'd just spent $45 on, and got out the scissors which are exactly like another crappy pair that I have, and started cutting.
This is her now. (Proud Mamma grin)

She's mangy and tough looking like an Australian Shepherd, but still tiny and inexpensive (to keep) like a Morkie. Tomorrow I will shave her so she will be able to go to job interviews and such, but for now, she's the coolest kid on the block.

Gidgit has taught me to be a little less selfish. A little. She's shown me how caring and adorable my husband is with tiny needy things, and I see now that I love her so much that I'll spend money on her instead of me. So she is my trial baby. So what? Having children is terrifying.

It was funny to cut cut cut cut until the pile that included me, looked like this. I used duct tape to get the bigger tufts of hair off of my clothes, but its not going to be enough. I didn't really see that coming. So I hugged her and petted her and told her how wonderful and patient she is, and sent her on her way. She went to her new bowls immediately and was utterly mortified to find that they had changed. She was very upset. This was her standing as far from the bowl as she could while still smelling it.
A minute later she went out her doggy door and tried to come back in, only to find that the NEW BOWL! was just inside and she just. could. not. come so close to it. It made her new haircut for her style and comfort seem a little unappreciated. I thought she'd be flouncing around the house grinning into mirrors and the reflection on the toaster to bask in her new hotness. But no. The bowls thwarted my designs for being nominated Dog Owner of the year. But since she was nominating me in that scenario in my mind, I guess my problems began before the bowls.

I LOVE my dog. And because of that, she flies for free.* See? Love can conquer all.




*She Federal Aviation Requirements for Emotional Support Animals.

Comments

  1. Cute. I mean--so tough.

    As for animals vs. babies...I cannot stress this enough... Having a dog is nothing nothing NOTHING like having a baby. It IS a bit, however, like having a toddler ;)

    Come visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No no, I know :) I was just quoting my friend Lindsay who called her my "trial baby". I've only ever compared chasing her about and worrying about what she might eat to other dogs, but I've learned that if I can care for a dog, I can care for things that are not myself. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pumpkins the Goat

It does not get better than this.

School, and the Golden Rule